Why is the refinery located on the Kingston Harbour?
There are several factors which influenced the location of the refinery. These include:
- Location in an Industrial Zone, which minimizes risk to surrounding communities and the environment;
- Proximity to sea provides:
- Accessibility to ocean going vessels for receiving crude oil and finished products, as well as from pipelines located under the sea.
- An abundant supply of seawater for fire fighting.
- Easy dispersal of waste gases in a seaward direction due to prevailing wind direction.
- Underground supply of well water for cooling and boiler feed water. (National Water Commission sources provide additional “make-up” water, when necessary).