How does refining impact the environment?
- Noise pollution from operating the plant
- Possibility of Oil Spills from trucks, ships, pipelines and from the processing plant and tank leaks.
- Fugitive gaseous emissions from valves, flanges, tanks and process vessel vents.
- Gas emissions
- Potential fires due to the presence of highly combustible materials
- Contamination from sulphur oxides, nitrous oxides and ash emissions from burning HFO/fuel gas in boilers and furnaces.
- Possibility of hydrogen sulphide emissions, a by-product of hydro-treating which is burnt at the flare.
- Water pollution by waste water from the process or ground water pollution from leaks and spills.
- Disposal of municipal waste scrap metal from maintenance, used chemical containers and spent catalyst.