Oil Spill Prevention Features of Petrojam Facilities
Several design features at the refinery and terminals mitigate against oil spills. These include:
- Containment dykes which are constructed around tank farms and have the capacity to contain all the contents of the storage tanks;
- An impermeable heavy duty polyethylene, geosynthetic lining which is installed vertically, to below the water interface level to prevent migration of oil from within the tank farm boundary;
- Tank bottoms are constructed of concrete with protective liners. Tanks are periodically taken out of service for inspection to detect early signs of metal corrosion.
- Underground wells are maintained around the tank farm to monitor ground water quality and to facilitate oil recovery;
- Underground pipelines are wrapped in corrosion resistant tape and are pressure tested and monitored continuously.